My friends are tired of hearing this, but I firmly, emphatically believe that every woman deserves to wear the very best shoes she can afford. That’s why I tell anyone who will listen that you should own one flawless, classic-but-not-frumpy, totally luxurious pair of black pumps. Plan to spend $200, or more, if your budget will allow. Don’t think you have $200 to spend on shoes? Replace the 4 or so pairs you would have otherwise bought with just one, glorious pair that you will own forever. (Just start a shoe stash somewhere. I won’t tell!) Mine are from Jimmy Choo, and they are still gorgeous, nearly 10 years after I first spotted them in Chicago. Ready to make the leap and make a serious investment in your mom style? Here, some advice to help you choose wisely.
How to Shop For a Classic Black Pump, in 5 Easy Steps
1. Save trendy styles for the budget buys. Your investment shoes should be timeless. Skip exaggerated platforms, unusual textures (except for an exotic animal skin), peep toes, flatforms, extreme wedges, etc.
2. Avoid embellishments. This may be the only time you hear me say this, as I am typically a frou frou fan, but this time, keep it simple for maximum versatility. A simple bow is fine, but avoid glitter, studs, spikes, or sparkles.
3. Look for a moderate toe, not too pointy, not too round. Something with a slight curve is perfect.
4. Look for a moderate heel, 2 inches or higher, slim but not stiletto-like.
5. A beautiful matte leather is the most versatile option, though in a warmer climate a patent is almost as versatile. Avoid suede, which is more limiting and more fragile.
Top 5 Classic Black Pumps
Here, a roundup of classic black pumps that are perennial favorites. They all feature timeless style, great quality and even comfort.
(Note: As always, all images are linked to the store where the item can be purchased).
1. KORS Michael Kors “Glitter” Pump
In spite of its name, there is no glitter anywhere on this perfectly shaped patent pump on a 4″ heel, which retails for $195. If you’d like similar style and versatility on a lower heel, try the KORS Ghita, also $195.
2. Kate Spade “Karolina” Pump
This perennial favorite from Kate Spade is versatile, comfortable, and endlessly wearable. That’s why the company makes them, in different colors and materials, year after year. They are that perfect. $295 on Amazon
3. Rupert Sanderson “Tracey” Pumps
This patent pair is a bit more dramatic, and the lines are sleeker, than some of the others, but if you’re looking for a slightly less conservative style, this is a great pick!
4. All Saints “Lena” Pump
A cool slightly crackled finish and a sleek shape make this classic pump a little different. $340 from Amazon.
5. Stuart Weitzman “Power” pump
A perennial favorite, you can’t go wrong with Weitzman’s quality, and these are known for being walkable, as well. $335 on Amazon.
A classic pair of black pumps is a wardrobe essential you will wear for years. Which is your favorite? To shop these styles and many more, check out my Amazon store!