When I first spotted Lena Antonacci’s mom style, I was amazed by her ability to make the most casual pieces look chic and pulled together. Lena is a Canadian fashion industry buyer, wife and mom whose hip, effortless mom style is chronicled on her blog, Quality Rivets. Fortunately, she was willing to share a few of her style secrets, right here.
What’s your secret to getting dressed every day?
My secret is to plan ahead. I look at the weather forecast the night before and prepare my outfit. I prepare my lunch, gym bag, kid’s outfits, etc. the night before as well. I save who knows how much time by doing this. Thinking of an outfit alone could take me a solid 30 minutes. I also have a really good husband who’s responsible for the mornings while my responsibility is the evenings, as we are both working parents.
Name your favorite shops/brands?
My go-to stores are Zara, H&M, Ardene, Forever 21 and Aldo. However I must say that the bulk of my shopping is done online. Most sites provide detailed size descriptions therefore it’s very rare that I return something. My favorite online shops are Persunmall.com, Oasap.com, Sheinside.com, Choies.com and GoJane.com. Such affordable, trendy items. Most of these sites have free shipping which is an ultimate bonus.
How has motherhood changed your style?
It’s not about me anymore. I now put myself last. But you adapt and wouldn’t want it any other way. 🙂
Name 5 things you can’t live without.
I’m not going to name the obvious which would be my husband, kids, family, air, food, etc. so:
- iPhone – it’s sad to say but I’d be lost without it.
- Gym – I am planning on competing in my first ever bikini competition.
- Moisturizer – God knows what my 36 year old face and body would look like without it.
- Me time – we all need this to keep our sanity.
- Laughter – life would just be dull without it.
Do you wear makeup every day?
I wear make-up to work 5 days a week and only if I go out to a party on the weekends. To run errands, go to gym, etc. all I wear is moisturizer. What currently goes on my face from beginning of day to end, in this order (minus all the make-up for regular days):
- Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15
- Kinerase Advanced Eye Cream
- Smashbox Photo Finish More Than Primer Dark Spot Correcting
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (applied with my fingers which gives a more natural finish)
- Mac Pro Longwear Concealer (put on with make-up sponge but then blended in with fingers)
- Laura Mercier Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder
- Mac Bronzing Powder
- Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler
- Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Mascara
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil
- Lancome Clarifying Cream-to-Foam Cleanser
- Paula’s Choice Resist Retinol Serum
- Paula’s Choice Resist C15
Where do you look for fashion inspiration?
I find inspiration from all over. Runways, magazines, store windows, brand lookbooks, places I visit, etc. However my inspiration usually comes from other bloggers.
What is your go-to mom style look? Any style secrets?
My go-to mom look, however it’s really just a go-to look not intended for moms alone, are jeans and t-shirt usually paired with some flat sandals or cool sneakers. You will catch me wearing this on most weekends. Switch the jeans for denim shorts on incredibly hot days.
What is one thing you do every day to pamper yourself?
Before bedtime and once the kids are in bed, I cuddle with my husband on the couch watching Netflix.
If you could only apply one makeup item, what would it be?
I would say the bronzing powder. It’s nice to give your face a little glow, especially in the Canadian cold winters.
Favorite denim brand?
I am addicted to Zara denim. Their styling and fits are fantastic. I also really do love the prices. 🙂
Color, neutrals, or both?
Both, but I find I’ve been sticking to a lot more neutrals recently. Monochromatic chic is where it’s at this season!
Name the one signature accessory you are never seen without.
Aside from my engagement ring and wedding band, which after my second pregnancy are now permanently glued to my chubbier finger, it has to be my diamond necklace. It is the very first piece of jewelry that my husband bought for me when we met 10 years ago and I’ve never taken it off since.
Love Lena’s balanced approach to style? So do I! Here are a few of her top style secrets.
- 1. Check out the affordable denim at Zara – always on trend with great fits.
- 2. Good habits are the backbone to great style. A well thought out morning routine, and a little planning in the evening, can ensure that you always look pulled together.
- 3. Check out some of the trendy online shops favored by fashion bloggers, such as OASAP.com, for unique finds at amazing prices!
Want more Mom Style Secrets? Click here for more interviews!