For the longest time, I never met a white button-down shirt that I liked. Ever. They were always too boxy, too long and too overwhelming. And then I saw the light. While shopping in Talbots with my mom, I found a stretchy white cotton button-down with darts in all the right places, sized for my petite frame, and I fell in love. Few things are as sophisticated as a woman in a perfectly tailored crisp white shirt tucked into a lean black skirt, and it’s a look that transcends age and body type. Here, five of my favorites:
1. J. Crew Perfect Shirt, $64: Flawless lean style in stretch cotton.
2. Lafayette 148 Ellis Blouse, $358: Italian stretch cotton, this is an investment piece, particularly if you have a bit more shape in your hips.
3. Boss Black “Baola” shirt, $195: Timeless and flawless.
4. New York & Company Shirred Button-Front Stretch Shirt in White, $36.95: A beautiful fit at a beautiful price, this defines the waist of a straighter body type.
5. Zara Combined Shirt, $25.99: Zara is a great source for cool, classic pieces with an edge. This shirt has darts for a great fit and clean lines that transcend trends.